When I started The Best Interest (December 16, 2018), I didn’t think I’d be writing this post only three years later.
It’s surreal to announce that:
- I’m leaving my engineering job
- I’ll be focusing on finance and investing full-time
- I couldn’t be more excited!
What Lies Ahead
So – what will I be doing?
One of the primary answers is that I’m going to work for Cobblestone Capital Advisors. Cobblestone is an RIA (registered investment advisor) based in my hometown of Rochester, NY. And as a fiduciary, Cobblestone is legally obligated to work in their clients’ best interests (you know I like that).
Some of my future work includes:
- Writing for Cobblestone (nice!)
- Creating a podcast for Cobblestone (I’m very excited for this one!)
- Talking to people who want Cobblestone’s help
- Working with Cobblestone’s experts and learning from them
- Continuing work here on The Best Interest
- Community outreach (e.g. personal finance and investing classes)
- And much, much more…
In short, 100% of my working hours will be devoted to helping people’s personal finances. No more split between engineering and finance. And that has me excited!
What Does Cobblestone Do?
Cobblestone has a plethora of experts on staff. And I’m excited to learn a lot from their wide range of expertise. Their staff includes:
- Certified Financial Planners (CFPs), the highest designation in financial planning
- Chartered Financial Analysts (CFAs), the highest designation in investment analysis and portfolio construction
- Certified Public Accountant (CPAs), the highest designation in accountancy, bookkeeping, and tax planning
- Lawyers (JDs) and other estate planning experts, who find efficient ways to ensure that your loved are always cared for
My current expertise is only part-time. And it’s focused on beginner personal finance and beginner investing. And I know – that’s a decent start! Proper budgeting and index funds investing can get you far.
But Cobblestone has a full team, a diverse team, and they’re all experienced professionals. I know zilch about tax planning, portfolio design, insurance optimization, estate planning, etc. Cobblestone has experts in all those areas.
And I’m a big fan of Cobblestone’s investing philosophies. I’ll explain more in time. But in short—Cobblestone’s CFAs are aware of which markets are efficient and which are not. They don’t try to beat the efficient markets (e.g. stocks). It’s too hard. And that’s an intelligent investing approach!
I’m so excited to learn at Cobblestone. And in time, to explain what I’ve learned to you.
I’ll continue investing in knowledge.
Will The Best Interest Change?
Nope, not really. I will continue to write here and explain cool money ideas!
Thanks For Being Here
I couldn’t have made this change without The Best Interest‘s terrific audience.
Thank you for continuing to read here, week after week.
I’m sure my role will be evolving over time. But that’s the big news (for now)!
As always, reach out to me with thoughts or questions!
Thank you for reading! If you enjoyed this article, join 6000+ subscribers who read my 2-minute weekly email, where I send you links to the smartest financial content I find online every week.
Want to learn more about The Best Interest’s back story? Read here.
If you prefer to listen, check out The Best Interest Podcast.
Congrats, and all the best!
Really glad you are switching into something you are passionate about. How does that saying go? “Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.”
Enjoy and looking forward to hearing about your journey.
Hey Tech! Thank you so much for reading over the years, and continuing to support my journey.
Yes – that’s certainly the goal 🙂 really excited to think about this kinda stuff all the time!
We are so happy and proud of you!!
We know you will do great!!
Kathleen B! You’re one of my favorite readers 🙂
Thanks for the nice note!
Congrats on the new role – I think it’s wonderful that you’re pursuing your passions 🙂
Cheers to learning!
Hey Fiona! Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate you!
Hear hear – to learning!